Thursday, March 29, 2012

Data file size

Hi,
I brought this question up before, but I still need some help with it.
About a week or two ago, the data file for my SQL 2000 database was about
3.5 GB, with a 1 GB Transaction log. I back up the transaction log every 3
hours during the day and backup the Data file nightly.
I recently imported around 500,000 additional records into the database, and
the data file grew to about 5.5 GB, with a 8 GB Transaction log. I ran a
DBCC shrink and it reduced the data file to about 4 GB and the Tranaction Log
to about 3 GB.
I've done this numerous times already, and in another week, the data and
transaction log files will probably be right back up to 5.5 GB and 8 GB, and
probably even larger. Is this supposed to happen, or am I forgetting to do
something?
Any help would be terrific.
Thanks
-
StuAre you performing log backups? If not, make sure you have selected the
Simple recovery model.
--
David Portas
SQL Server MVP
--|||Yes - The logs are backed up at 11:00, 2:00, and 5:00 every day.
"David Portas" wrote:
> Are you performing log backups? If not, make sure you have selected the
> Simple recovery model.
> --
> David Portas
> SQL Server MVP
> --
>|||You need space in both the data and log files for the new data you are
inserting. If the files are not large enough they will grow. Depending on
the size and the growth percentage they may grow quite large. If you will
just repeat this process each week it makes no sense to shrink the files.
That does more harm than good and they will simply grow back again. Having
too much free space is not a problem but too little is.
http://www.karaszi.com/SQLServer/info_dont_shrink.asp Shrinking
considerations
--
Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
"Stu" <Stu@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6BF3273A-E9DA-4434-B60A-0B8281854592@.microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> I brought this question up before, but I still need some help with it.
> About a week or two ago, the data file for my SQL 2000 database was about
> 3.5 GB, with a 1 GB Transaction log. I back up the transaction log every
> 3
> hours during the day and backup the Data file nightly.
> I recently imported around 500,000 additional records into the database,
> and
> the data file grew to about 5.5 GB, with a 8 GB Transaction log. I ran a
> DBCC shrink and it reduced the data file to about 4 GB and the Tranaction
> Log
> to about 3 GB.
> I've done this numerous times already, and in another week, the data and
> transaction log files will probably be right back up to 5.5 GB and 8 GB,
> and
> probably even larger. Is this supposed to happen, or am I forgetting to
> do
> something?
> Any help would be terrific.
> Thanks
> -
> Stu

No comments:

Post a Comment