Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Data file backups and ArcServe

We are attempting to backup our SQL Server data files (MDF
and LDF) onto tape using Brightstor ARCserve. (I have my
normal daily backups - this is for offsite redundancy) The
Arcserve backups of the data files are failing
consistantly. I suspect that arcserve is not able to get
an image of the data files because they are open and
active - transactions run on this server 24/7. Does anyone
have experience with this? Is there a workaround besides
stopping the SQL service? I'm satisfied with taping the
daily backups, but my se wants the data itself.
RLR
You would need to purchase the Open File Agent in order to
backup the files while the SQL Server is running.
-Sue
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 07:18:17 -0700, "rlruss"
<rlrsysdev@.mindspring.com> wrote:

>We are attempting to backup our SQL Server data files (MDF
>and LDF) onto tape using Brightstor ARCserve. (I have my
>normal daily backups - this is for offsite redundancy) The
>Arcserve backups of the data files are failing
>consistantly. I suspect that arcserve is not able to get
>an image of the data files because they are open and
>active - transactions run on this server 24/7. Does anyone
>have experience with this? Is there a workaround besides
>stopping the SQL service? I'm satisfied with taping the
>daily backups, but my se wants the data itself.
>RLR
|||According to my se, we have Open agent installed - it works for everything except the db files. I created a non-sql file with the mdf extension, and it copied it fine. We're going with taping the dailies until this gets figured out - se isn't thrilled, bu
t I can live with it.
so it goes..
sql

No comments:

Post a Comment